Spiritual Formation in Today’s World
Reading assignments from faculty of Spiritual Formation in Today’s World offered online via Zoom. Books are added when received from faculty presenters. Please check back frequently for new book additions.
Session 1: Meeting God in Our Longing
February 25-27, 2021 (Thurs – Sat)
Faculty: Amy Oden
1. Discernment: Reading the Signs of Daily Life by Henri J. M. Nouwen
2. Right Here Right Now: The Practice of Christian Mindfulness by Amy G. Oden
3. Valerie Kaur, “3 Lessons from Revolutionary Love in a Time of Rage,” TED Talk, 2017.
3 Lessons from Revolutionary Love
4. Academy podcast, conversation with Sophia Agtarap and Amy Steele Academy Podcast with Sophia Agtarap and Amy Steele.
(Optional) Further Reading Recommendations from Amy Oden:
1. Barbara Holmes, Joy Unspeakable: Contemplative Practices in the Black Church, 2nd ed., Fortress, 2017.
2. Stephen Charleston, Sanctuary of the Spirit, Red Moon Publications, 2017.
Session 2: Meeting God in Our Healing
May 20-22, 2021 (Thurs – Sat)
Faculty: Safiyah Fosua
Session 3: Meeting God in Our Reconciling
August 19-21, 2021 (Thurs – Sat)
Faculty: Ray Buckley
Session 4: Meeting God in Our Justice-Seeking
November 4-6, 2021 (Thurs – Sat)
Faculty: Luther Smith