Spiritual Formation in Today’s World
Reading assignments from faculty of Spiritual Formation in Today’s World offered online via Zoom. Books are added when received from faculty presenters. Please check back frequently for new book additions.
Session 1: Meeting God in Our Longing
February 25-27, 2021 (Thurs – Sat)
Faculty: Amy Oden
1. Discernment: Reading the Signs of Daily Life by Henri J. M. Nouwen
2. Right Here Right Now: The Practice of Christian Mindfulness by Amy G. Oden
3. Valerie Kaur, “3 Lessons from Revolutionary Love in a Time of Rage,” TED Talk, 2017.
4. Academy podcast, conversation with Sophia Agtarap and Amy Steele Academy Podcast with Sophia Agtarap and Amy Steele.
(Optional) Further Reading Recommendations from Amy Oden:
1. Barbara Holmes, Joy Unspeakable: Contemplative Practices in the Black Church, 2nd ed., Fortress, 2017.
2. Stephen Charleston, Sanctuary of the Spirit, Red Moon Publications, 2017.
Session 2: Meeting God in Our Healing
May 20-22, 2021 (Thurs – Sat)
Faculty: Safiyah Fosua
1. Eric H. F. Law, Fear Not: Living Grace and Truth in a Frightened World, (Chalice Press, 2020) ISBN-13 : 978-0827211322
2. Bishop Michael Curry, Love Is the Way: Holding on to Hope in Troubling Times, (Avery, 2020) ISBN-13 : 978-0525543039
3. John Goldingay, Fuller Studio, YouTube (April 25, 2016) “Theology: John Goldingay on Lament” https://youtu.be/dXyuLxqAw88
4. Soong Chan Rah, BiolaUniversity, YouTube (April 6, 2017) “The Necessity of Lament” (Biola SCORR Conference, part 1) https://youtu.be/8W0-C4BQJ90
5. Soong Chan Rah, BiolaUniversity, YouTube (April 6, 2017) “The Changing Face of Christianity” (Biola SCORR Conference, part 2) https://youtu.be/U7Jh4b4PP4Y
6. NW Tap Connection, TedXSeattle, YouTube (April 18, 2018) “Dance as Protest; say their names-see their names-feel their names” https://youtu.be/vnnDztTcklI
Session 3: Meeting God in Our Reconciling
August 19-21, 2021 (Thurs – Sat)
Faculty: Ray Buckley
- The Power of Forgiveness; 2021; by Eva Mozes Kor.
- Trauma Stewardship: An Everyday Guide to Caring for Self While Caring for Others, by Laura van Dernoot Lipsky.
- Two Old Women, by Velma Wallace
Session 4: Meeting God in Our Justice-Seeking
November 4-6, 2021 (Thurs – Sat)
Faculty: Luther Smith